Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Vampires Took My Blood

And I swear I have none left!!!

So I went for my first round of blood work on Friday. Very impatiently I waited for the nurse to call and let me know if I'd be starting puregon or not. Good news all around of course... puregon was to be started on Saturday!

Now do you remember me saying that I had agreed to participate in a study? Well the study was for puregon, so the study started yesterday. The study is to see which injection site is the best... the abdomen or the thigh. 2 days was needed. One to do the abdomen injection and one to do the thigh. So yesterday I arrived at the clinic bright and early. She took 1 blood sample before my injection, one immediately after, one 15 minutes after, then one every hour for 4 hours. She put in an IV type thing (she called it a lock) so that she wouldn't have to stick me every time she wanted blood. I was very much ok with that.

Today however was a different story...

She couldn't get the IV/lock to work right. Just couldn't get it to stay in the vein. That sucked. Want to know why? Because that meant 7... yes count 'em... 7 pokes in my arms! That's in addition to the 3 places she tried to put the IV/lock. I'm soooo looking like a drug addict right now its not funny.

The blood work will continue tomorrow, Tuesday, AND Wednesday. I'm sure that when all of this is over I'll have no blood left.

Wednesday also includes an ultrasound. Hopefully there'll be lots of follies kicking around in there and lots of eggies in those follies.

Extremely exhausted tonight. Spending most of my weekend in the hospital pretty much wiped me out I think. Did a little bit of cleaning today though. How's that for excitement!!

Oh and you'll all be so very proud of me! Yesterday was the first time I have given myself my injections WITHOUT using ice to numb the skin first. Whadda think of that!

See... I'm not a wimp after all... :)
>

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouchies! It will be all worth it in the end :) I got my cheering section going for you!!! :) Good luck!

Shirley Ann

Anonymous said...

I think you're way tougher than me!

Anonymous said...

You are not a wimp at all!

Sorry about all the holes in your arms. Crossing my fingers, toes, eyes, hairs for lots of follies on Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

ooooOOOOOOooooh the Heroine Chic -- how very vogue of you.

You're a tough cookie, not a wimp at all -- a lesser woman would have dropped out of the study after all your blood letting!

Larisa said...

Ouch! Better not show those track marks in public...

Nope, no wimps in this infertility world. We are all tough chicks.